Quotations - Buddha

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think.
When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
The Dharmapada

One who sees the Dhamma sees me.
One who sees me sees the Dhamma.



O monks and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting and rubbing it, so must you examine my words and accept them, not merely out of reverence for me.


My teaching is not a philosophy. It is the result of direct experience...
My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship.
My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river.
Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore of liberation.



If you were to follow the Dharma purely out of love for me or because you respect me, I would not accept you as disciple. But if you follow the Dharma because you have yourself experienced its truth, because you understand and act accordingly - only under these conditions have you the right to call yourself a disciple of the Exalted One.
Not to do any evil, to cultivate good, to purify one's mind, this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
Dhammapada v. 183

Mind precedes all mental states.
Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought.
If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts,
suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

Mind precedes all mental states.
Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought.
If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts,
happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.
Dhammapada v. 1, 2

The mind is hard to check. It is swift and wanders at will.
To control it is good. A controlled mind is conducive to happiness.
The mind is very hard to perceive, extremely subtle and wanders at will.
Let the wise person guard it; a guarded mind is conducive to happiness.
Dhammapada v. 35, 36

I am the owner of my karma .
I inherit my karma.
I am born of my karma.
I am related to my karma.
I live supported by my karma.
Whatever karma I create, whether good or evil, that I shall inherit.
Anguttara Nikaya v.57 - Upajjhatthana Sutta

Do not overlook negative actions merely because they are small;
however small a spark may be, it can burn down a haystack as big as a mountain.
It is intention [or volition; instead of just an action], monks, that I call kamma [karma],
for having willed, one performs an action through body, speech and mind.

Mind precedes all mental states.
Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought.
If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts,
happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.
Dhammapada verse 1 and 2



No Response to “Quotations - Buddha”

Leave a Reply